> On 16 Feb 2019, at 21:31, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> Le sam. 16 févr. 2019 à 13:12, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>>
>> The link to the javadoc on the GitHub homepage is broken. I cannot find a
>> link to the javadoc from the official commons RNG homepage.
>>
>> I have tried to update the README.md using the commons build plugin. Here is
>> a comparison between updated and the original:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/commons-rng/compare/master...aherbert:update-readme
>>
>> <https://github.com/apache/commons-rng/compare/master...aherbert:update-readme>
>>
>> Given the use of sub-modules it appears the output README.md files have to
>> be tweaked.
>>
>> The build plugin creates working links for each of the sub-modules to
>> javadoc.io <http://javadoc.io/>.
>
> I don't see those links: the apidocs are hosted on the Apache server:
>
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-core/apidocs/overview-summary.html
>
> <https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-core/apidocs/overview-summary.html>

The javadoc.io <http://javadoc.io/> badges are put at the top of the README.md
by the latest commons build plugin. It seems that when you visit javadoc.io
<http://javadoc.io/> at the link this prompts them to get the public release
and then create the javadoc pages on this site. All the badges I have tested do
eventually build and show javadoc.

The latest README.md updates the badges so that:

- build status badge drops the '?branch=master’ parameter
- coverage badge drops the '?branch=master’ parameter
- maven central badge is unchanged *
- The licence badge is dropped
- The java docs badge is added to refer to javadoc.io <http://javadoc.io/>

* This badge used the artefact name so has to be updated for the main README.md
page as that refers to commons-rng-parent. All the sub-modules are OK. I just
pointed it to commons-ring-simple.

So should the javadoc.io <http://javadoc.io/> badge be dropped and the licence
badge reinstated manually?

>> However should there be a master javadoc with bundles for each module hosted
>> somewhere on https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/
>> <https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/>?
>
> It doesn't bother me that there is no aggregate Javadoc; the modules can be
> seen as separate libraries with different target audiences.
> The broken link in README.md should be replaced by links to the each of the
> modules.
>
> Regards,
> Gilles

OK. I have tweaked the output from the commons build plugin for the main page
to add javadoc links for client-api, core, simple and sampling.

I updated all the other README.md files to:

- manually fix the javadoc link in the modules with javadoc *
- not refer to the module name but ‘Apache Commons RNG’ for the donate link.
- use <commons.componentid>rng</commons.componentid> as the example property
- drop the RNG from the auto-generated [Apache Commons RNG
homepage](https://commons.apache.org/)

* The javadoc here:
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-examples/apidocs/
<https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-examples/apidocs/>
Is for 1.1-SNAPSHOT. Some modules are missing (e.g.
commons-ring-examples-quadrature).

So the 1.2 release did not deploy apidocs for commons-examples? I do not know
how to browse the hosting server to check. If missing then the apidocs should
be fixed (uploaded). If it is not official to host these I can update the
README.md to remove the browse link.

You can see the latest comparison with what was previously in the README at
this link:

https://github.com/apache/commons-rng/compare/master...aherbert:update-readme
<https://github.com/apache/commons-rng/compare/master...aherbert:update-readme>

You can view the pages here:

https://github.com/aherbert/commons-rng/tree/update-readme
<https://github.com/aherbert/commons-rng/tree/update-readme>

I think all the links work in all the modules except the missing javadocs for
the commons-examples modules.

The badges, [Contributing], [License] and [Additional Resource] sections are
all now up-to-date with the latest from the commons build plugin. The latest
description from the pom.xml is also included.