I got distracted and wanted to know why you might be thinking of doing
the cross-compiling path,  $mvn release:prepare will always clean the
target/ directory and rebuild.  We don't want that to cobble together
artifacts from different build sources, which ultimately would
probably want to happen via Travis.  It is apparently really difficult
to get maven to skip cleaning in this case, passing
-Dmaven.clean.skip=true is ignored by the release plugin.  The only
way so far I've found so far is to code this into the build section:

<plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>3.1.0</version>
        <configuration>
                <skip>true</skip>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

Then we can put outside artifacts into the target folder and maven
will package it into a Jar for us.  There has got to be a configurable
way to do this as a work-around.  Any Maven experts out there?

-Geoff