On 2020-07-24, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Now back to our code depending on other dependencies. My view is that there
> are bugs, you just have not hit them. If I find one in a dependency and it
> gets fixed, it's going to mean a new version of that dependency.

This either is "we hit a bug that affects us" - where I already say this
is a reason to upgrade for me - or "the user hits a bug" - in which case
I prefer to let the user update the buggy dependency. I don't want to
force the user to update because they might be affected by bugs.

And of course we both know that newer versions not only fix bugs, they
introduce new ones as well.

https://javadoc.io/ or similar services?

> I view it as simpler and safer to update from a "near" dependency than
> letting a dependency acquire "bit rot" and upgrade later, especially
> if an update means making adjustments. I want to make smaller
> increments of adjustment rather than a larger set. Just like I prefer
> to RERO instead of big bangs for releasing Commons components.

I fully agree with you if nobody else depends on my stuff. I.e. I'm
working on an application rather than a library. When working on a
library I really want the user to be and stay in control.

> Another way to look at this is to look at a large software stack: If every
> library developer never updates dependencies, then your application,
> through transitive dependencies will end up depending (virtually) on many
> versions of the each library, which is much more likely to create jar hell
> and other problems than the other edge case where everyone uses the latest
> version (or a fixed version.)

You are just hitting home on Stefan's almost 20 year old impression that
automatic transitive dependency resolution is a BAD IDEA. ;-)

I fully expect you (all of you) to ignore that last remark.

> From a hand-waving-talking-over-beers-more-FOSS-y philosophical-POV, I'd
> like to think that by eating our own current Apache dog food as well as
> other FOSS dog food, we all help each other make our software better.

We might help the developers of our dependencies but I'm afraid we are
hurting our dependees - and I tend to care more for the latter.

Stefan