> Unless I'm mistaken, there is one drawback to shading: Since
> it creates new classes, there will be less shared code, hence
> one could imagine a potential hit on performance (?).

Of course it means some code duplication in the final artifact.
This means slightly bigger artifacts - but disk space is cheap.

In the worst case scenario it means some more memory gets used.
For the libraries I am looking at this is insignificant.

Same should be the case for performance.
But you never know for your use case until you measure it.

I see merely a single drawback - and that's when reflection is in the
picture.

IIRC my original minijar code did work around this for static references,
but for dynamic references you were on your own.

I think the current incarnation of the shade plugin does not support
reflection magic.
And maybe it's OK to keep it simpler.

I must be missing something: Since shaded classes are supposed
> to be "internal", if there is an impact on the public API, the only sane
> solution is a bug-fix release that shades the fixed version of the internal
> library.  No?

That's exactly how it works.