Le jeu. 29 avr. 2021 à 01:45, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 00:10, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It occurs to me that we *should* create a specific "git" repository
> > for holding web site contents; having the "asf-site" and "asf-staging"
> > branches in the component's repository is looking for trouble: It will
> > be too easy to commit the (generated) web files into "master"
> > instead of the appropriate branch.  [If allowed (even recommended
> > as per the doc) by INFRA, we should not frown upon the increased
> > separation of concern (source code vs web site management).]
> >
> > "Logging" has one repository for the top-level site and a separate
> > repository for every component.
> > IMO, we should do the same (and copy their ".asf.yaml" layout).
>
> You are proposing about 50 new Git repos.

Only because it seems that the functionality was intended that way.
Also: Having independent repositories seems the safest path for
experimenting mix and match; if the latter works, not all components
will use the new system, or migration can be done gradually.

> > Until we make the git switch for the live top-level site, we would indeed
> > (as you proposed) not have a "publish" section in any of the ".asf.yaml"
> > files (in any of the repositories); we'd only use the "staging" section
> > that will make the site accessible at
> >     https://commons.staged.apache.org
>
> The top-level site does NOT have to be switched to Git for this to work.
> As I already wrote we can mix SVN and Git.

I propose this in order to be able to test the *full* solution without
messing with the current setup, based on what you wrote previously:
That
    https://commons.staged.apache.org
would go away.  [It's not: It will be used as the staging site through the
".asf.yaml" mechanism (cf. doc).]

> But of course the way the website is built needs to be changed to
> select the individual parts as already described.
> This means a change to the svnpubsub configuration.
>
> > Any objection to creating the following repositories:
> >     commons-site.git
>
> -1: it's not needed; we can still use the SVN repo.
>
> >     commons-math-site.git
> > ?
>
> Fine, but please try (and document) the full process of how to stage
> the site and how to push the staged site to the asf-site branch.

Practical question: Do we care about getting lots commit messages
sent to the commits@ ML during the test phase?
Or should I direct the traffic to some other list (which one?) in the
meantime

> There's no point converting to Git if that process is more involved
> than the existing process.

I'm not sure that we mean the same with "the existing process".
Earlier in the thread, I've described what I do:

$ mvn site site:stage
$ cd site-content
$ rm -rf *
$ cd ../target/staging/
$ cp -r * ../../site-content
$ cd ../../site-content
$ svn status
[Use some commands to "svn add" all the new files and "svn del"
to remove all the file that do not exist anymore.]
$ svn commit

What I'd like to know is whether the "process" should be different
with the current setup.

IIUC, the ".asf.yaml" approach is to create a subdirectory for each
new version of the web site (in sync with versions of the code).

So that the last two steps of the "process" above would just be (within
a newly created subdirectory).
$ git add -A
$ git commit

Gilles