>>> [...]
> >
> > OK to create the
> >     commons-site
> > "git" repository?
>
> Are you offering to do the work?

If the option is still on the table, I could test the
website-related feature of ".asf.yaml":

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/git+-+.asf.yaml+features#git.asf.yamlfeatures-BranchProtection

> BTW, I have found out that it is possible to combine site content from
> SVN and Git repos in order to create the website checkout.
> So there is no need to convert to Git.

Is it the solution straightforwardly applicable to the current
setup of the Commons web site? [So that ".asf.yaml" should
not be used for the projects' sites.]

> ==
>
> If there is a desire to use Git for the component websites, I suggest
> you try creating a couple of branches in the commons-math repository:
> asf-staging and asf-site.
>
> See if it is easy to create the staging site and then commit it to the
> asf-site branch.

Did I misunderstand that the above documentation assumes a
dedicated "git" repository for the web site's contents?
Or is this suggested only for an overhaul of how the sites are
built?  I.e. do we need/want something like
    https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-site.git
    https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j-site.git;a=tree
or not?

Strangely, there is something there: