On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 at 11:28, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Le jeu. 15 déc. 2022 à 12:00, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> a écrit
> :
> >
> > On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:52, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I guess not: It is the parent of modules that may have artefacts.
> > > Ditto for "examples-kmeans" (no JAR, but parent of "examples-kmeans-image"
> > > that has a JAR).
> > >
> > > It is cleaner to have a separate module for each "mini-application"
> > > (which a
> > > user can then easily run).
> > > However if we have to perform this "manual" deletion of spurious file for
> > > each
> > > release), it will be much less error-prone to put all the examples in the
> > > same
> > > module (and use the "subcommand" feature of "picocli").
> >
> > For the other multi-module projects we decided not to upload artifacts
> > to nexus. These jars have no binary compatibility commitment.
> >
> > They are included using an 'examples' profile when you build the site.
>
> There is no such profile in the [Math] POM.
> The line
> ---CUT---
> <module>commons-math-examples</module>
> ---CUT---
> is in the "<modules>" section.
>
> Also, I've performed a maven command, noted in earlier messages, that
> did not specify "site" (or does the "deploy" target depend on "site"?).

Our current release howto states that the site goal is required for
the commons-release plugin to stage the site. So I always run it and
didn't know you could omit it. If you do have a staged site then you
manually delete it (it is only the site for the parent pom) and then
stage the correct multi-module site built with the examples. If you
did not have to use the 'site' goal then the release guide can be
updated. I'll make a note to try without the site goal on the next
release.

> > But they should not be in the release profile. The latest release of
> > statistics, geometry, rng and numbers did not upload the examples to
> > Nexus. They would be in the source distribution only.
>
> So, for this release, can I just delete all the "*examples*" folders on
> Nexus?
> [Then for the next ones, the upload should be disabled like for the
> other components.]

If Nexus allows you then yes. I don't see a problem with it still
being in the parent pom since that will only affect building the
project. No-one will do that from downloaded artifacts.

Alex