Hi sebb,

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 at 10:25, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > but dependency management can be used to
> > prevent version mismatches.
>
> What dependency management is that? Does Maven manage this?
> Seems like users would be forced to use extra controls to ensure only
> comaptible combinations of artifacts were used.

Maven users would be forced to add a new `commons-compress-bom`
artifact (in my PR) to their dependency management. As far as I know
other build systems (Gradle, Coursier, probably Apache Ivy) resolve
version conflicts with a "highest version wins strategy", so the
change will be a no-op for them.

Yes, this change might require a developer to supervise the upgrade,
so it might require a major version bump to drive their attention.
However personally I find it less problematic than having half the
dependency stack using `o.a.c.compress` and half of it using
`o.a.c.compress2`.

The necessity to align the versions of a multi-module project is
something many users are aware of (and the others use Spring Boot
dependency management ;-) ).

Piotr