don't wanna spam the list. but here's a bit of serendipity. another piece
crossed my newsfeed today

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/8/21/17687402/kylie-jenner-luck-human-life-moral-privilege

this one is a longer read. but perhaps interesting for this list's
subscribers, because builds quite nicely on the core ideas of the previous
post

specifically:

> These recent controversies reminded me of the fuss around a book that
came out a few years ago: Success and Luck: Good Fortune and the Myth of
Meritocracy, by economist Robert Frank. (Vox’s Sean Illing interviewed
Frank last year.) It argued that luck plays a large role in every human
success and failure, which ought to be a rather banal and uncontroversial
point, but the reaction of many commentators was gobsmacked outrage. On Fox
Business, Stuart Varney sputtered at Frank: “Do you know how insulting that
was, when I read that?”

that outrage certainly mirrors some of the reactions I have witnessed when
I have suggested that structural inequities (and not 100% "merit") have a
role to play in someone's position of power/respect/success in tech