On 3/22/2019 6:56 AM, Shawn McKinney wrote:

On Mar 22, 2019, at 2:03 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

It would be very important to come up with a replacement that is
as effective as what we're trying to replace. Frankly, I don't know
a single candidate.

Does anyone?

Here are some, can’t say they carry the same level of clarity or weight.

excellence, merit-based / merited, self-determination, deserving /
deservingness, worthiness / being worthy of, getting one's due, be entitled /
qualified to

I suspect, without research data to back it up, that anything that implies that those with decision making power got there primarily through their own merit/deserts/worth etc. would have the same harmful effects as a claim to be a meritocracy. I prefer the direction that presents meritocracy as something towards which we can strive, but that has not been achieved and may never be fully achieved. Luck and having the right parents will go on being important.

Patricia

---
https://www.avg.com