I bow to Naomi for keeping reacting in this thread and not giving in to a
desire to step out of the discussion...

I find it sad that there are (board) members who keep saying that the
situation must improve (because there are problems regarding Diversity and
Inclusion), but when it comes to where it needs to improve (in the projects
mostly) they also keep saying (here and other threads also in other fora in
the past) that there is nothing to be done from the Foundation downwards to
the projects because 'the projects are independent'.

In my book there is where the view-points of those persons go of in wrong
directions. Yes, projects are expected to operate independently from
outside influence. But they can not operate independently from the
organisation they reside under. In a page (See [1]) of the ASF it is stated
that 'the board delegates the technical direction of all projects to each
PMC', but 'are expected to follow corporate policies'. This means that the
policies can be created at Foundation level, and can be policed (by the
Board, and/or through delegation by a specific office). If the highest body
of the Foundation established a strict(er) policy on 'merit awarding'
and/or 'Diversity & Inclusion' then it is obliged, with regards to these
policies, to:

   1. ensure that each of the lower level organisational units (OUs like
   projects/offices/departments, etc.) acknowledge and apply such policies
   2. regularly (and independently of the projects and offices) assess the
   adherence to (or compliance with) the policies
   3. actively implement corrective measures when an OU fails to adhere to
   or comply with such policy.

Mark suggested in a posting earlier that there is something called the D&I
team that could be tasked with gathering advice from domain experts, and
advise the President/Board on how to improve this situation. But it seems
(I have done some searching on ASF pages regarding this D&I team) the team
has not been established formally and thus no insights on its mission and
production can be established. Maybe that still needs to happen? Or is it
flying very low under the radar, or.... ?

Whatever it may be (visages the D&I team), here are some suggestions that
may lead to an improved situation:

   1. Communicate (e.g. via the ASF's web site) clearly where contributors,
   who feel they were wronged, can submit complaints;
   2. Treat complaints (and their submitters) seriously and discretely;
   3. Have a protocol published so that everybody can learn about what to
   expect and when to expect it.

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/
[2] http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence

Best regards,