Not directly a response to the below, but very much related to it.

If you go to a Node.js conference these days, the very first thing you
do is pick up a badge.  When you do, they ask you to consider putting
on a sticker containing your preferred pronouns.  Shortly thereafter
you realize that the conference is qualitatively different in terms of
inclusion - gender isn't quite a 50/50 split, but I did find myself on
more than one occasion seated surrounded by women - north, south,
east, west.  There also are talks, panels, open discussions on
diversity.

There also are noticeably more people with different gender
orientations, people of color, etc.  Not just in the audience, but
also on the stage.

When people (generally inadvertent) make a remark that could be
considered non-inclusive on a node mailing list, they are generally
called on it (and quickly), and promptly apologize, and the apology is
promptly accepted.  If there are any actions that need to be taken,
they are identified and acted upon.

Where we, the ASF, are and continue to be is abnormal.  The difference
from industry norms is statistically significant.  And durable.

When such topics come up here, the response is contentious and
defensive, long winded, and generally without resolution.

Yes, you will find women at ASF conferences.  Look, there are two over
there, and one more on the other side.  OK, so there may be some talks
where there are more, but there are also some talks where there are
less.

There must be something that we are doing - or not doing - which is
causing all of this.

What saddens me is that I don't know what to suggest.

Enumerating what we are doing (such as Rich did below) is a good
start.  But also acknowledging that we are somehow the cause if it -
either though action or inaction - is also a necessary first step.

- Sam Ruby