On 2019-04-17 9:04 p.m., Griselda Cuevas wrote:
I want to understand how we
see and value the topic since I consider it an important influencer in the
D&I topic. More clearly - some projects are not diverse on the commercial
vendor affiliation dimension, which can create an environment not so
friendly for diverse voices to exists so worth exploring this potential
root cause. I need time to elaborate on this hypothesis since it might help
articulate a better question.

I 100% agree, without naming names. Holding back committership from people who may not have the same ideas as you, giving them "limited committership" privileges (effectively no different that 'contributor' status), or simply ignoring those contributions can "other" many -- all of this can be wielded poorly by corporations intent on ensuring their own commercial interests in an Apache project are not subverted.

I just don't want to lose sight of what the ASF has managed to achieve over its existence, namely setting the bar for supportive, collaborative cooperation between volunteers and corporations in the open source realm, in the interest of the public good. Finding a way to acknowledge, at the project level, specific corporate involvement and commitment as good development partners without lionizing or deifying them in the eyes of the general public or the project's user base is critical.

Thank you!

And thank you for raising something that I've been too nervous to bring up on my own.

-Joan