I've only been partially following, and I hear and respect the desire for
"quality control", but IMO, people talk about Apache all of the time in other
events.  For example, when Flex joined the incubator in January 2012, there was
a Flex user conference shortly after in April 2012.  I spoke there about the
transition from Adobe to Apache and laid out what I knew about Apache at the
time.  I posted slides beforehand, but I'm not sure our Mentors looked them
over carefully.  We were a podling, so no official PMC members and no Mentors
were in attendance.  IIRC, I also practiced this presentation at a small Meetup
before the conference.  I'll bet this happens at lots of conferences for
podlings.  I included a disclaimer that I wasn't speaking on behalf of Apache,
just passing on what I've learned so far.

Hence, my gentle suggestions that disclaiming is better than too much oversight
on these community meetings, otherwise ALC is going to be under a heavier
burden than other community outreach.  If that's because you want to make ALC
the official way to learn about Apache, roughly as formal as the Incubator, ok,
then fine, but that might cause other volunteers to shy away or find a path of
less overhead by skipping the ALC title and buying a case of beer instead.

My 2 cents,
-Alex