Hi David,

ASF welcomes open-source projects with a health community and can serve as
an umbrella of such projects.

After reading the issue mentioned above, I'd like to ask for a community
overview
of this project; especially after Shopify shifts away from this project, is
the community
still vibrant to maintain the software?

For donating a project to ASF, there are generally two ways:

1. Going through the incubator process[1];
2. An existing project accepts large portion of code contributions, with
clear IP clearance[2].

For approach 1, you can read the proposal guide and try to answer the
questions in
proposal template[3].

For approach 2, maybe you can try to get in touch with Kafka PMC. But I'm
afraid there are
already several open-source Go clients, and they may not accept this one
specially.

Best,
tison.

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html