On 2/20/24 10:34, tison wrote:
## Background ##

More background can be found in [1][2]. The current website template [3]
has not been updated for six years and uses outdated tech that can hardly
be used for new podlings.

I developed a new template[4], and it's been used for a few podlings
already. All of them are glad to see this improvement.

## Proposal ##

Create a new repo under COMDEV PMC to host the new website template. Such a
template is mainly for new podlings setup but is also suitable for any TLPs.

The name is to be determined. Following the self-serve rules, we can only
create repo with comdev- prefix, so perhaps comdev-website-template.

Or from why I create an INFRA ticket, apache/website-template-docusaurus,
with INFRA's help.

## Reject Alternative ##

1. Create a new branch under apache/apache-website-template.
It's discussed in [5][6] and doesn't seem a good direction.

2. Create a new repo under Incubator PMC.
I'm hesitant about this, actually. But Andrew Wetmore wrote:

This is not the purview of the Incubator, and it's not the purview of
Infra.

It's kind of reasonable, so I reached out here first.

Best,
tison.

[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/nzzvz0j6mlgfn4pldxg6988oqw20b0bx
[3] https://github.com/apache/apache-website-template/
[4] github.com/tisonkun/apache-website-template/tree/docusaurus
[6] https://github.com/apache/apache-website-template/pull/17

This feels like we are over-engineering the solution to a simple problem. Just use the existing website-template repository, have the default branch be an empty branch with a README that tells you what the different examples are, each in their own branch or directory.

The repository is meant to show examples, it's not being used in production or dynamically pulled in on other website builds, so breaking existing structures is perfectly reasonable.