Hi Xuanwo,
It’s been a few years since I participated in GSoC as a mentor… but this year I
intend to. Let me see if I can provide answers to some of your questions.

On 2024/03/11 03:07:29 Xuanwo wrote:

> 2024-02-22: Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with
> mentoring organizations
>
> Q: Should those ideas/proposals been posted to mailing list? Or just discuss
> with mentors?

Mailing list is great however I don’t think there are any hard rules. This
period is really just for attracting interest in the initiative (if it was
created by the PMC/Committership) or convincing a PMC to take on your
initiative (if it was created by a potential GSoC student).

> Q: Should student-submitted ideas/proposals be added to Jira?

Yes absolutely. Make sure the JIRA issue is labeled with “gsoc2024” as well.
That way it will show up in the filter at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels+%3D+gsoc2024.

> 2024-04-15: Proposals to ASF projects must be reviewed roughly and have a
> potential mentor so that we know how many slots to request.
>
> Q: Who will review/rank/score those proposals? The corresponding community's
> PMC?

In short yes but really it is down to the mentor(s). It is always good to have
a backup mentor as well in-case the mentor is unable to see the project through.

HTH
lewismc