I think compiled distribution should be an option, that we support.
In WP7+8 one of the new project options includes all Cordova native code in
a compiled dll.
The dll is duplicated for each project ( not truly a shared dynamic library
), but it does allows for a simplified user project structure.

To me, if you are distributing a compiled plugin, it would be a release
version only, so I don't think debug/release is an issue, but the multiple
architecture could be.  I believe there are project settings you can use to
link to the correct version though.

This is also the way that most nuget packaged libraries are distributed.
 ie, you can use my code, but you can't see my code.

--
@purplecabbage
risingj.com