Yes, <config-file> element would work fine for wp7+8 as well.
I then see no other need for the <permission> element.

<config-file target="Properties/WMAppManifest.xml"
parent="/Deployment/App/Capabilities">
      <Capability Name="ID_CAP_IDENTITY_DEVICE" />
      <Capability Name="ID_CAP_IDENTITY_USER" />
      <Capability Name="ID_CAP_LOCATION" />
</config-file>

@purplecabbage
risingj.com