The whole motivation behind adding the minimum Cordova engine version, in
the first place, seems to be here:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-inappbrowser/blob/master/plugin.xml#L33

It says "Needs cordova/urlutil".

I think we do not specify the minimum Cordova engine version on most of the
plugins, unfortunately don't have much time to check this right now.

Whenever we do specify a minimum Cordova engine version, I would favor
specifying a version that is not excessively old such as 6 or 7. This is
analogous to the Node.js ecosystem where the node field in engines does
actually specify the minimum Node version it can work with.

But yes, definitely should not update with the current Cordova version.

Yeah, probably not worth blocking a release. I wish I had more time to help
with this kind of improvement.