Those who develop on Mac OS X and have installed CouchDB using Homebrew [1],
should do the following to test CouchDB 1.1.0 with their applications:

`brew update` # Make sure you have the latest formulae
`brew edit couchdb` # Edit the CouchDB formula using $EDITOR

and replace the following line:

url 'https://github.com/apache/couchdb/tarball/1.0.2'

with:

url 'http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.0/apache-couchdb-1.1.0.tar.gz'
# can also use 'http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.1.0' if you'd
rather do an SVN checkout of the 1.1.0 tag

Finally,

`brew remove couchdb` # Remove the installed stable CouchDB 1.0.2
`brew install couchdb` # Build and install CouchDB 1.1.0 from Bob's 1.1.0
tarball

All databases will be intact and immediately available with CouchDB 1.1.0.
Subsequently removing CouchDB 1.1.0 and undoing the changes made to the formula
will make it easy to go back to 1.0.2. Later, when the official release
happens, the canonical formula will be updated by someone and signed off @mxcl
or @adamv (core maintainers of Homebrew).

The only thing that might affect your development environment is the new
database format the CouchDB 1.1.0 migrates to during a database compaction.
Those database files will not be understood by 1.0.2 and will have to be
recreated or replicated from a backup database (possibly between different
versions of CouchDB).

Let me know if you have questions or something is not clear, I'm more than
happy to help with Homebrew / CouchDB build/install issues.

Gabor

PS It seems the version number has not been set correctly yet, `couchdb -V`
returns 'couchdb - Apache CouchDB 1.2.0a-' for me

[1] http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew (if you are not using Homebrew yet, you
should seriously consider!)