> On Jan 14, 2014, at 8:47 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Paul Davis
> <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>> I would also point out that even though our main repo would need to
>> fetch other dependencies from the internet to build the final output,
>> we fully intend that our release tarballs would *not* have this
>> requirement. Ie, when we go to cut a release part of the process the
>> RM would run would be to pull all of those dependencies before
>> creating a tarball that would be wholly self contained. Given an
>> apache-couchdb-x.y.z.tar.gz release file, there won't be a requirement
>> to have access to the ASF git repos.
>

> Just to be clear, the idea would be creating only  a release tarrball from
> all the git repositories or do you also think to create a full repository
> from all the dependencies? Something done by Cloudi for example which build
> the main repository [1] from the other repositories [2]. rcouch is only
> creating a tarball containing all erlang deps [3] .

I hadn't contemplated a "synthetic repository" until you mentioned it but my
initial reaction is "ick". Not sure I see a point but it's also not something I
see as overly detrimental.

Regardless of that I'd expect the release tarball would be able to be generated
from just the federated repositories.

> Also what about the npm modules that are fetched for futon and
> couchjs-node? Do you think we need to import them as well? At least maybe
> should we provide a mirror?
>
> - benoit

I don't know enough about the state of these modules to have an opinion. I've
talked to a few people about the fauxton build in general but I don't have a
clear picture on what's a build time vs configure time dependency as well as
how fauxton configure/build steps map to the corresponding configure/build
steps.

For instance, if as part of a release we build a completed fauxton and include
that as a static thing then id not pull the npm dependencies directly and
instead consider them external dependencies. But it's also completely possible
I have no idea what I'm talking about and that makes no sense.