Hi ermouth,

thanks for chiming in!

More details in the technical discussion, but as a preview: the current idea is
use FDB key/values (and their limitations) as JSON field key/values. So you can
make documents > 10/100k, but there would be a limit for each key in a doc that
is 10/100. But there are several options we can talk about of how folks could
opt into exceeding even those limits at the expense of (likely) performance, or
code complexity.

There is going to be a larger discussion about what new limitations an FDB
backend would bring to CouchDB and how comfortable we are with the various
limits or the approaches to work around them.

Compatibility is a big concern, and our 1.x > 2.x transition is largely a
success, so we’d like to aim for a repeat performance.

Best
Jan
—