Hi Will,

your opinion is as valuable as anyone else’s here, and with such a large
proposal, we need to hear everyone’s voice.

I’m currently the (unofficial) champion of this proposal and I have some wip
code that just last weekend got to a stage that showed that with some more
work, this could be done with not a lot of total effort.

I personally agree that this is a feature that should be in CouchDB sooner than
later, but one concern is that older versions of CouchDB will reject docs with
an _access property, so the usefulness is only for folks going forward (or
we’ll add a  compat mode to older versions, something I’m not seeing really, at
least for 1.x). That said, I still want to see this in CouchDB.

Since looking at FDB, it is pretty clear that adding the _access proposal to an
FDB CouchDB would be an order of magnitude simpler than doing it on the current
codebase, bit I think it is worth doing in both places.

This is also part of the larger discussion of what happens with the project
until something based on FDB is shipped and I’d like to open a new thread for
that specifically shortly. Everything is still TBD, but we already know there
are a bunch of things that are coming to CouchDB (partitioned databases, etc.)
as we know it, and I would like to work towards a “we’ll make the best CouchDB
we can”, so it can be a viable option for folks who can’t switch to an
FDB-powered CouchDB for whatever reason for a long time to come.

Best
Jan
—