On 2019-09-04 20:53, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
> Great list, Joan, thanks. I created a handful of GitHub issues for the first
> two sections and tossed them in the “Proposed for 3.x” column. I also
> submitted a PR to address one of them :)

Cheers! I've also retitled that column "3.0 Release Tasks" since I think
that's how we're treating it. If it turns out anything needs to be
bumped to 3.x, we can create a new column for that.

> Out of that list of already-deprecated functionality the only one that gives
> me pause is the delayed_commits one. We haven’t talked about it in years, and
> we ship a safe default. I’d be a little concerned about breaking folks who
> intentionally switched it on with full knowledge of the tradeoffs.

Another option would be to just remove the setting from default.ini and
the documentation.

Does FDB have anything similar?

-Joan

> [...]
>>>
>>> **NOTE**: This is /not/ the vote for deprecation, nor a formal
>>> announcement of such. This is a starting point for discussion. A vote
>>> still needs to happen for this to move forward. Anything already
>>> deprecated in 2.0 can be removed in 3.0 without a formal vote, but it'd
>>> be nice if it got mentioned on the dev@ list before the PR lands on
>>> master, please.
>>>
>>> As I'm going to be travelling for most of the rest of September, I'd
>>> prefer if someone else (like Adam or Deni) can help drive this discussion.
>>>
>>> Once there is consensus from the community on these lists, we should
>>> close #1534 and split it into 3 new tickets based on the tables below
>>> (excepting the features already removed in 2.x).

>>> Yes, for the items in the 2nd table below, absolutely.
>>>
>>> -Joan "turning the tables" Touzet
>>>

>>> --------
>>>

>>> # Recently removed features in 2.x
>>>
>>> **Feature/Endpoint**                | **Links**
>>> ------------------------------------|------------
>>> update_notifications                | [10]
>>> ini-file based query servers        | [11]
>>> ini-file based HTTP global handlers | [11]
>>> OS daemons                          | [11],[12]
>>> vhost redirects/global handlers     | [11],[12]
>>> couch_httpd_proxy                   | [11],[12]
>>>
>>> *NOTE*: Some of these still have lingering bits in the documentation
>>>       that need a final cleanup pass before 3.0 should be released.
>>>
>>> --------
>>>
>>> # Already deprecated items, to be removed in 3.0
>>>
>>> **Feature/Endpoint**                | **Links**
>>> ------------------------------------|------------
>>> some duplicate dbinfo size fields   | [2],[3]
>>> delayed_commits                     | [4]
>>> port 5986                           | [5],[6]
>>> `/{db}/_external/*`                 | [7],[8]
>>> view-based changes (code remnants)  | [17],[18],[19],[20]
>>>
>>> --------
>>>
>>> # Proposed deprecations for 3.0, not rebuilt/removed in 4.0
>>>
>>>  **Feature/Endpoint**   |    **Replaced by**   | **Links**
>>> --------------------------|----------------------|-----------
>>> `/{db}/{ddoc}/_show/*`    | App server/rev proxy | †
>>> `/{db}/{ddoc}/_list/*`    | App server/rev proxy | †
>>> virtual hosts [24]        | haproxy, multitenant | [25]
>>> `/{db}/{ddoc}/_rewrite/*` | App server/rev proxy | [26]
>>>
>>> †: getRow() makes embedding a new, efficient JS engine impossible since
>>> getRow() does not give up thread execution control; an entirely new
>>> approach would need to be constructed, breaking backward compatibility
>>> at the very least. (There are additional challenges.)
>>>
>>> --------
>>>
>>> # Likely will remain unchanged through 4.0
>>>
>>>  **Feature/Endpoint**          |    **Improved by**
>>> VDU (validatefun()) [13]         | [14],[15]
>>> update handlers (updatefun) [16] | [14],[15]
>>> JS engine [21]                   | [22],[23]
>>> system DB special handling       | [27]
>>>
>>> *NOTE*: The last table may grow as limitations imposed by FDB are better

>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/516793df0c1913c045441d0ff78339f307e2aff517d9223da44edd9e@%3Cdev.couchdb.apache.org%3E
>>> [20]: