The nice thing about git is that every git repo is capable of being a master /
slave. (The ASF git repo is special only in that it gathers audit logs when
people push to it, e.g. the IP address where the push came from. Those logs
will be useful if the provenance of our IP is ever challenged.)

So, the merging doesn’t happen on the GitHub repo. It happens in the repo on
your laptop. Before merging, you pull the latest from the apache master branch
(it doesn’t matter whether this comes from the GitHub mirror or the ASF repo -
it is bitwise identical, as the commit SHAs will attest), and you pull from a
GitHub repo the commit(s) referenced in the  GitHub PR. You append these
commits to the commit chain, test, then push to the ASF master branch.

If you add ‘Close #NN’ to the commit comments (and you generally will), an ASF
commit hook will close PR #NN at the time that the commit arrives in ASF git.

Julian