+1 for the ytex method of handling a umls login before download of the umls
resources.  While this also doesn't truly prevent people from sharing files
(data) without a umls account, it is a little bit of a nicer mechanism.

Aside ...  Does anybody out there have experience with izpack?  (izpack.org)
Creation of an "InstallAnywhere" style module is under consideration ...