Hi all,

I think I found a solution on my own ... the key is that I now output an
payload element for every parameter, even if that is empty in some cases, with
this, I was able to do the following:

    <xs:element name="S7ResponseMessage">
        <xs:complexType>
            <xs:sequence>
                <!-- Reserved value always 0x0000 -->
                <xs:element name="reserved" type="s7:short" fixed="0"/>
                <xs:element name="tpduReference" type="s7:short"/>
                <xs:element name="parametersLength" type="s7:short"/>
                <xs:element name="payloadsLength" type="s7:short"/>
                <!-- UserData (type 7) responses don't have the error class and
code -->
                <xs:element name="errorClass" type="s7:byte" minOccurs="0"
                            dfdl:occursCountKind="expression"
dfdl:occursCount="{if(../../type eq 3) then 1 else 0}"/>
                <xs:element name="errorCode" type="s7:byte" minOccurs="0"
                            dfdl:occursCountKind="expression"
dfdl:occursCount="{if(../../type eq 3) then 1 else 0}"/>
                <xs:element name="parameters" minOccurs="0"
                            dfdl:lengthKind="explicit" dfdl:lengthUnits="bytes"
dfdl:length="{../parametersLength}"
                            dfdl:occursCountKind="expression"
dfdl:occursCount="{if(../parametersLength gt 0) then 1 else 0}">
                    <xs:complexType>
                        <xs:sequence>
                            <xs:element name="parameter" maxOccurs="unbounded">
                                <xs:complexType>
                                    <xs:sequence>
                                        <xs:element name="type" type="s7:byte"/>
                                        <xs:choice
dfdl:choiceDispatchKey="{type}">
                                            <xs:element
dfdl:choiceBranchKey="240" ref="s7:S7GeneralParameterSetupCommunication"/>
                                            <xs:element
dfdl:choiceBranchKey="0" ref="s7:S7ResponseParameterCPUService"/>
                                            <xs:element
dfdl:choiceBranchKey="4" ref="s7:S7ResponseParameterReadVar"/>
                                            <xs:element
dfdl:choiceBranchKey="5" ref="s7:S7ResponseParameterWriteVar"/>
                                        </xs:choice>
                                    </xs:sequence>
                                </xs:complexType>
                            </xs:element>
                        </xs:sequence>
                    </xs:complexType>
                </xs:element>
                <xs:element name="payloads" minOccurs="0"
                            dfdl:lengthKind="explicit" dfdl:lengthUnits="bytes"
dfdl:length="{../payloadsLength}"
                            dfdl:occursCountKind="expression"
dfdl:occursCount="{if((../payloadsLength gt 0) or (../parametersLength gt 0))
then 1 else 0}">
                    <xs:complexType>
                        <xs:sequence>
                            <xs:element name="payload" maxOccurs="unbounded"
                                        dfdl:occursCountKind="expression"
dfdl:occursCount="{fn:count(../../parameters[1]/parameter)}">
                                <xs:complexType>
                                    <xs:sequence>
                                        <xs:choice
dfdl:choiceDispatchKey="{../../parameters[1]/parameter[fn:count(../payload)]/type}">
                                            <xs:element
dfdl:choiceBranchKey="240" ref="s7:S7GeneralPayloadSetupCommunication"/>
                                            <xs:element
dfdl:choiceBranchKey="0" ref="s7:S7ResponsePayloadCpuServices"/>
                                            <xs:element
dfdl:choiceBranchKey="4" ref="s7:S7ResponsePayloadReadVar"/>
                                            <xs:element
dfdl:choiceBranchKey="5" ref="s7:S7ResponsePayloadWriteVar"/>
                                        </xs:choice>
                                    </xs:sequence>
                                </xs:complexType>
                            </xs:element>
                        </xs:sequence>
                    </xs:complexType>
                </xs:element>
            </xs:sequence>
        </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>

So what I do now is that I use the type-element of the matching parameter for
the second decision.

However I would like to report, das not even by debugging the code was I able
to understand the error message about not supporting arrays.
"Query-style paths not supported. Must have '[...]' after array-element's name."
Cause the real reason is that the problem was that on the up-path only the last
part can exist without the array notation and in this case the intermediate
"parameters" fragment had to be added an array index.

How is the above solution performance-wise?

Chris