Hi Stephen,

On 3/29/24 03:53, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:10:42 -0700
Andrey Ignatov <r...@apple.com> wrote:

You don't need always inline, the compiler will do it anyway.

I can remove it in v2, but it's not completely obvious to me how is it
decided when to specify it explicitly and when not?

I see plenty of __rte_always_inline in this file:

% git grep -c '^static __rte_always_inline' lib/vhost/virtio_net.c
lib/vhost/virtio_net.c:66

Cargo cult really.

Cargo cult... really?

Well, I just did a quick test by comparing IO forwarding with testpmd
between main branch and with adding a patch that removes all the
inline/noinline in lib/vhost/virtio_net.c [0].

main branch: 14.63Mpps
main branch - inline/noinline: 10.24Mpps

Andrey, thanks for the patch, I'll have a look at it next week.

Maxime

[0]: https://pastebin.com/72P2npZ0