+CC techboard

Thank you for testing this, Maxime. Very interesting!

It is sometimes suggested on techboard meetings that we should convert more
inline functions to non-inline for improved API/ABI stability, with the
argument that the performance of inlining is negligible.

I think this test proves that the sum of many small (negligible) performance
differences it not negligible!