>2016-05-16 14:11, Wiles, Keith:
>> >2016-05-13 15:48, Wiles, Keith:
>> >
>> >What is the intent of this script? Is it to be used for bug report?
>> >There already have some tools to display system informations. Why adding
>> >one more?
>> >Examples of useful tools: hwloc/lstopo, lspci, hugeadm.
>>
>> I was looking to replace the cpu_layout.py tool which uses the /procfs
>> instead of /sysfs, just figured we could then add some extra information
>> into this script as well. Yes, we have other tools, but some people do not
>> know or use or install these tools. I was hoping this one would be able to
>> display a number of things to help the developer and us in helping them
>> debug problems.
>>
>> Stephen Hemminger sent an email about the use of sysfs instead of procfs.
>> http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-May/038560.html
>
>I agree that cpu_layout.py should be removed.
>Should we implement something else? Or just point to existing tools?

Well I did create something else :-) As for pointing to existing tools, we
should do that anyway in the documentation.
>Or call existing tools from a small script?

Calling the existing tools could be a problem as they may not be installed, but
they could install the tools too after the script points it out.

>Is it the DPDK focus to develop and maintain such tool?
I can not answer that question per say. I can at least be the maintainer for
this script or someone else.

I think we need something that pulls all of the information from the system for
the developer to see at a quick glance to help debug his system. Also we can
then say run this script and post to the list, which is nice and simple as a
debug aid.

Regards,
Keith