Jinfeng,
Actually, it turned out that the error message was because some of the hooks in
the code to setup the Casting mechanism were missing for VARDECIMAL.  Once I
added these (in a number of places), I'm now encountering a weird problem as
below signature.  It's using the copyFrom method, which is protected, instead
of copyFromSafe, which is public.  Which piece of code is input to this
generated CopierGen1 code?
Dave Oshinsky

The error:
0: jdbc:drill:zk=local> select employee_id, salary, commission_pct from dfs.`c:/
apache/drill-master/drill/exec/java-exec/src/test/resources/parquet/varlenDecima
l.parquet` where employee_id=100;
SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further detail
s.
Error: SYSTEM ERROR: CompileException: File 'C:\tmp\code\janino19816979456188725
35.java', Line 76, Column 27: No applicable constructor/method found for actual
parameters "int, int, org.apache.drill.exec.vector.VarDecimalVector"; candidates
 are: "protected void org.apache.drill.exec.vector.VarDecimalVector.copyFrom(int
, int, org.apache.drill.exec.vector.VarDecimalVector)"

Fragment 0:0

[Error Id: aca1f748-4494-45d4-b13a-eee24ff2c9a6 on DaveOshinsky-PC.gp.cv.commvau
lt.com:31010] (state=,code=0)
0: jdbc:drill:zk=local>

The code that failed to compile:
$ cat c:/tmp/code/*2535.java

package org.apache.drill.exec.test.generated;

import org.apache.drill.exec.exception.SchemaChangeException;
import org.apache.drill.exec.ops.FragmentContext;
import org.apache.drill.exec.record.RecordBatch;
import org.apache.drill.exec.vector.NullableVarDecimalVector;
import org.apache.drill.exec.vector.VarDecimalVector;

public class CopierGen1 {

    VarDecimalVector vv0;
    VarDecimalVector vv3;
    NullableVarDecimalVector vv6;
    NullableVarDecimalVector vv9;
    NullableVarDecimalVector vv12;
    NullableVarDecimalVector vv15;

    public void doSetup(FragmentContext context, RecordBatch incoming,
RecordBatch outgoing)
        throws SchemaChangeException
    {
        {
            int[] fieldIds1 = new int[ 1 ] ;
            fieldIds1 [ 0 ] = 0;
            Object tmp2 =
(incoming).getValueAccessorById(VarDecimalVector.class,
fieldIds1).getValueVector();
            if (tmp2 == null) {
                throw new SchemaChangeException("Failure while loading vector
vv0 with id: TypedFieldId [fieldIds=[0], remainder=null].");
            }
            vv0 = ((VarDecimalVector) tmp2);
            int[] fieldIds4 = new int[ 1 ] ;
            fieldIds4 [ 0 ] = 0;
            Object tmp5 =
(outgoing).getValueAccessorById(VarDecimalVector.class,
fieldIds4).getValueVector();
            if (tmp5 == null) {
                throw new SchemaChangeException("Failure while loading vector
vv3 with id: TypedFieldId [fieldIds=[0], remainder=null].");
            }
            vv3 = ((VarDecimalVector) tmp5);
        }
        {
            int[] fieldIds7 = new int[ 1 ] ;
            fieldIds7 [ 0 ] = 1;
            Object tmp8 =
(incoming).getValueAccessorById(NullableVarDecimalVector.class,
fieldIds7).getValueVector();
            if (tmp8 == null) {
                throw new SchemaChangeException("Failure while loading vector
vv6 with id: TypedFieldId [fieldIds=[1], remainder=null].");
            }
            vv6 = ((NullableVarDecimalVector) tmp8);
            int[] fieldIds10 = new int[ 1 ] ;
            fieldIds10 [ 0 ] = 1;
            Object tmp11 =
(outgoing).getValueAccessorById(NullableVarDecimalVector.class,
fieldIds10).getValueVector();
            if (tmp11 == null) {
                throw new SchemaChangeException("Failure while loading vector
vv9 with id: TypedFieldId [fieldIds=[1], remainder=null].");
            }
            vv9 = ((NullableVarDecimalVector) tmp11);
        }
        {
            int[] fieldIds13 = new int[ 1 ] ;
            fieldIds13 [ 0 ] = 2;
            Object tmp14 =
(incoming).getValueAccessorById(NullableVarDecimalVector.class,
fieldIds13).getValueVector();
            if (tmp14 == null) {
                throw new SchemaChangeException("Failure while loading vector
vv12 with id: TypedFieldId [fieldIds=[2], remainder=null].");
            }
            vv12 = ((NullableVarDecimalVector) tmp14);
            int[] fieldIds16 = new int[ 1 ] ;
            fieldIds16 [ 0 ] = 2;
            Object tmp17 =
(outgoing).getValueAccessorById(NullableVarDecimalVector.class,
fieldIds16).getValueVector();
            if (tmp17 == null) {
                throw new SchemaChangeException("Failure while loading vector
vv15 with id: TypedFieldId [fieldIds=[2], remainder=null].");
            }
            vv15 = ((NullableVarDecimalVector) tmp17);
        }
    }

    public void doEval(int inIndex, int outIndex)
        throws SchemaChangeException
    {
        {
            vv3 .copyFrom((inIndex), (outIndex), vv0);                   //
JINFENG - this should actually be copyFromSafe, not copyFrom
        }
        {
            vv9 .copyFrom((inIndex), (outIndex), vv6);
        }
        {
            vv15 .copyFrom((inIndex), (outIndex), vv12);
        }
    }

    public void __DRILL_INIT__()
        throws SchemaChangeException
    {
    }

}

doshinsky@DaveOshinsky-PC /cygdrive/c/apache/drill-1.7.0/exec/vector
$

Here's a code snippet from VarDecimalVector.java:

protected void copyFrom(int fromIndex, int thisIndex, VarDecimalVector from){
    final UInt4Vector.Accessor fromOffsetVectorAccessor =
from.offsetVector.getAccessor();
    final int start = fromOffsetVectorAccessor.get(fromIndex);
    final int end = fromOffsetVectorAccessor.get(fromIndex + 1);
    final int len = end - start;

    final int outputStart = offsetVector.data.getInt(thisIndex * 4);
    from.data.getBytes(start, data, outputStart, len);
    offsetVector.data.setInt( (thisIndex+1) * 4, outputStart + len);
  }

  public boolean copyFromSafe(int fromIndex, int thisIndex, VarDecimalVector
from){
    final UInt4Vector.Accessor fromOffsetVectorAccessor =
from.offsetVector.getAccessor();
    final int start = fromOffsetVectorAccessor.get(fromIndex);
    final int end =   fromOffsetVectorAccessor.get(fromIndex + 1);
    final int len = end - start;
    final int outputStart = offsetVector.data.getInt(thisIndex * 4);

    while(data.capacity() < outputStart + len) {
        reAlloc();
    }

    offsetVector.getMutator().setSafe(thisIndex + 1, outputStart + len);
    from.data.getBytes(start, data, outputStart, len);
    return true;
  }