The timelines you outlined seem quite slow. Especially "if there are enough
approvals, a PR could be merged not sooner than in two weeks since they
left the last review comment". IMO, rather than delaying patches by so
long, a better way to be courteous of a reviewer being too busy to review
in a timely manner is to seek review from some other committer that has
more time.

In an extreme case, where the patch has issues that a reviewer feels must
be addressed before the patch is merged, but the reviewer does not have
time to hold up their end of that conversation, they can veto (
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto), accompanied by a
justification. This is a pretty blunt tool and should not be used much. But
it is there.

I'm still optimistic that the discussion we've been having around proposals
is a good way to address a desire for reviewers to have their say, in a way
that doesn't slow down the development process so much. By starting
conversations about changes earlier, it is a way for contributors to come
together and agree on the general shape of changes before there is a bunch
of code to discuss. Hopefully that also makes code review more efficient in
terms of contributors' time, reviewers' time, and amount of calendar days
that PRs are open for.