From: "Steve Conrad" <sconr...@gmail.com>
To: "dev" <dev@fineract.apache.org>
Cc: "mifos-developer" <mifos-develo...@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:29:36 PM
Subject: Re: Migration to MySQL 5.7

Hi all -

I wanted to revisit this conversation.I have been working on this
migration, and there are 2 possible approaches that we can take.

1) Require the user to turn off ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY in sql_mode for the
MySQL instance (in /etc/mysql/my.cnf for most users). As of MySQL 5.7.5
this is turned on by default. The advantage of this approach is that it
requires only 1 change to migration files, and reduces the risks (as
pointed out by Nikhil and others) of breaking Read Platform services,
Pentaho reports, and any other externally configured queries.

2) Use the default settings where ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY is on. This requires
more changes to the migration scripts and would require more testing of
external services and reports.

The following link gives some good background on ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY -
http://rpbouman.blogspot.nl/2014/09/mysql-575-group-by-respects-functional.html

My recommendation would be to leave ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY on and do the
thorough testing that is required. However, I welcome your input and
thoughts.
Thanks,
Steve