Hi Ed,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 2:19 PM, Ed Cable <edca...@mifos.org> wrote:

> Courage,
>
> Pardon my ignorance but I still am not able to get notifications working.
>
> I see and understand the gist of the documentation page that Adhyan
> provided in that if you want to receive a notification that a savings
> account has been *created* in order to take the action of* approving* it,
> your role needs the permission to *activate *or *approve* that saving
> account.

If you receive a notification that a savings account has been created then
you account already has permissions to activate or approve a saving account

> I did that configuration on the demo3 server but still no notification is
> getting generated.

Can you send me a link to the hosted demo3 server so I can try it out?

> I also think we need to improve upon the documentation:
>
> 1) We need to show which actions have notifications already configured.
> For each action, we should say: 1) What action generates notification 2)
> what action can be taken from notification (if any) and 3) what permission
> needs to be enabled for that user to view notification (if that's how a
> notification is configure)
>

> 2) Is it really the case that the only configuration around the
> notifications framework is by enabling permissions? We have no UI
> whatsoever? If so, that should be an enhancement that we have an intern or
> volunteer focus on so it's more explicit about configuring notifications
> from the UI

The is no special UI configuration  needed for a user to configure
notification.  What actually happens is; When a user selects a role, He/She
is subcribed to the listen to notifications for the permissions in that
role. For example, if a user has a role called Admin and Admin has
permissions New Savings Account Approved, then when ever a new Savings
account is created a notification will be sent to that user because
Creating a new saving emitts events to notify any user have permissions to
approve a new savings account

> 3) Related to that last point, where does all the work that you did around
> subscriber groups come into play? I thought that you had made enhancements
> to allow notifications to be generated to entire sets of users. Is that all
> just on the back-end whereby a subscriber group to receive notifications
> gets created whenever a new role is created? If so, could you create/update
> documentation to reflect the same.

Most of the work I did was backend intensive. Notifications are sent only
to the users with permissions to act on that notification.

> What I'd like to see is a piece of documentation that explains to users to
> who, for what actions, and how notifications get generated and then
> explains how to configure these and/or disable them. We also need to make
> it clear how users can extend by enabling notifications for other
> permissions.
>
> We should also link to documentation on self-service app side which
> explains how the mobile banking app hooks into these notifications.
>
> Right now if I was a user I wouldn't even know notifications were
> available and how to take advantage of this nice feature.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

Thanks alot for your feedback Ed. I will create a detailed documentation
explain the notification framework and how to configure it.

Courage.