@Rob

Following up:

I think the issue is that jsdom v9 has no concept of sessionStorage, so when
getInitialSettings runs, we have a complete failure of UserALE.js within the
jsdom environment. This would affect .options and .log APIs. I haven’t pushed
more work on this, just have done some experimentation locally. But, if you
re-work the getSessionId function to work outside of the getInitialSettings
function and simply pass a variable into it, which is super ugly, you’ll get a
new test failure error message indicating that sessionStorage is undefined. I
didn’t push this because its not the best implementation that we should be
working around. The reason why we’re not seeing the same error in the
implementation on branch is because the getSessionId function is called from
within getInitialSettings, so we see a report of .options being undefined.

I’ve documented this here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLAGON-451
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLAGON-451>, which is where I’ve moved
comments to from issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLAGON-441
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLAGON-441>

We have two options: there are some patchy things we can do with other modules
(described in the ticket), which are still challenging given how we use
jsdom.env, OR we can update our testing framework to jsdom v12 (supports
sessionStorage) which is also a lot of work.

Rob (+ others) — I’m willing to put in some elbow grease on updating to jsdom
v12. We may also need to update chai, but frankly our unit-testing framework is
out of date and we’ll be faced with harder updates in the future. If I push
some commits on this, will you be able to support?

Josh

>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-flagon-useralejs/tree/FLAGON-434 <