HI Justin,
I succeeded in setting up the Flex 4.9 SDK on FDT 5+. In some ways it was
very similar to your approach but I took a different route. On account of
the paucity of support for Linux in the  flash player I have most of my
workstations dual booting in Win7 and Linux Mint. The machine I tested this
on is an Asus G73. I started first by building the Flex SDK in Windows with
the SDK installer and tested the SDK in FlashBuilder 4.6 and FDT 5. Ca
marche!
Then I logged into Linux Mint. Having read your ToDo I decide to look
inside the Windows assembled Flex SDK first. It seemed like it totally
matched your directions interms of file locations and so on. I copied the
SDK across to my Linus SDK folder and plugged it into FDT5 (expecting it to
fail). Non, c'est parfait. Worked like a dream. So it seems that there is
the option to build the SDK in windows and just copy the SDK into Linux and
that's that

~a~
www.ayobinitie.com
http://mrbinitie.blogspot.com