For those interested:
I've had some fun creating another implementation of SkinnablePopUp: it's a
Toaster that allows you to display toast-style messages.
In its simplest form you use it like this:

<fx:Declarations>
    <rs:Toaster id="toaster" width="150" bottom="20" right="20"/>
</fx:Declarations>

<s:Button label="Say hello" click="toaster.toast('Hello there from the
Toaster')"/>

The positioning properties ('bottom' and 'right' in this example) are
relative to the application.

See it in action at http://riastar.github.io/SkinnablePopUpFx/ (it can
be customized through custom item renderers and some addtional
properties)

Max