I managed to compile a little demo application of my Gist.
http://riastar.github.io/MaskedTextInputFx/

What I noticed:
- yours handles copy/paste operations, mine doesn't
- mine handles the phone and IBAN samples a little better (because of the
multiple separators/delimiters)
- yours handles the plate sample better: yours has restrictions per
character, mine uses TextInput's own 'restrict' property and so it can only
limit the input for all characters
- mine allows for a more complex prompt (e.g. dd/mm/yyyy for a date)
- neither can configure a maximum value (e.g. 12 for the 'mm' mask in a
date)

I think we'll have best of both worlds if we - that means you ;) - can make
it so that we have complex prompt *and* multiple separators. I guess to
achieve that, we need a separate property for the prompt and the
restrictions. Technically speaking we could simply override the existing
'prompt' and 'restrict' properties to achieve that (dropping the
'textMask/maskText' property).
It might also avoid confusion. e.g. what would happen with
<s:MaskedTextInput textMask="dd/mm/yyyy" prompt="aa-bb-cccc"/> ?
Perhaps a date mask input would be better like this: <s:MaskedTextInput
prompt="dd/mm/yyyy" restrict="##-##-##"/>
Or maybe using more standard regex patterns: <s:MaskedTextInput
prompt="dd/mm/yyyy" restrict="\d{2}-\d{2}-\d{4}"/>
The last approach would even allow you to do restrictions on the values in
the date (which I think is what Justin suggested).
To make it easier for the developer we could also provide some default
regex patterns (for instance a date pattern - preferably localized...)

What do you think?
Max