Mike,

That’s great that you can help out.  Every little bit helps.

On 5/14/15, 3:49 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <teotigraphix...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I will just ask this here but, how do you have your setup for testing the
>javascript compiler fixing?
>
>Say I find a bug, I know the problem is say in an emitter, right now I am
>building from the nightly. Is there a streamlined way that I don't have to
>build the compiler but say run the main class?

Yes, I have Eclipse Debug Configs to recompile the app.  Then I hit it in
a browser and see what happens.

>Now thinking about it, it probably is a thing where I have to nail exactly
>what is wrong and make a test for it in falconjx and not even worry about
>the app, if I fix the bug then it's fixed.
>
>I'm still really trying to just figure out the framework, where the line
>is
>as/javascript where you had to write custom .js and where you draw the
>line
>of what .as file in asjs/src gets cross compiled.

Well, when we first started out, I thought we’d write everything once in
AS and once in JS.  It was later that I realized with the right
abstractions we could cross-compile a lot more of our framework code.  So
really, the line is drawn at the low-level where you are abstracting the
differences.  For example, by creating PlatformWiper, I can then write the
Wipe class in as and cross-compile it.

>Honestly I don't know how long it's going to take me for the light bulb to
>turn on.
>
>Question: Say I had a goal of taking a mobile UI framework such as jQuery
>mobile and I wanted to wrap that for a ui extension. I know that I would
>have to create the api that mirror jQuery mobile, and then I would have to
>backasswards create .as Sprite components that would mirror the jQuery
>ones
>right? So what would be the steps and things I would have todo to get it
>work?

We already have a Jquery library.  Jquery mobile may or may not be its own
library or just be more components in the Jquery library.

To wrap any existing JS framework, figure out what it’s OO API surface
would look like and create JS wrappers if necessary.  Then for the AS
equivalent, try to re-use the components we have or write custom beads
that fill in what is missing.  That’s another benefit of beads: they
hopefully allow more re-purposing of code as you mock up the AS version of
the JS frameworks.