I forgot to explain how I debugged this:

I ran the app in the browser (I use Safari).
I examine the DOM tree.
I clicked on the Button that wasn't behaving.
I viewed the Node properties.
One of the properties is flexjs_wrapper.
I expand it, then its __proto__ then its FLEXJS_CLASS_INFO property.
In there is a names array.  The name was org.apache.flex.html.Button.

So that meant that your org.apache.flex.mdl.Button was not being used and
I checked the mdl-manifest.xml

HTH,
-Alex