This was discussed earlier in another thread.  IIRC Chris says resources
processing before compiling is the default in Maven and we shouldn't
change it.

I think you have the options of:

1) using -html-output-filename to tell the compiler to generate a
different filename that won't bash the one you want
2) Using the resource plugin to generate a template like js-index-template
that the compiler will fill in.

We could add another config option or detect a special
-html-output-filename that means don't generate html, but I would think
option #2 would be best.  That way the output html would pick up other
stuff from the compiler like inject_html directives.

-Alex