For me, the Ant build calls the "compile" target in
examples/build_example.xml and sets the config_arg to use
frameworks/js-config.xml which has targets set to just JS.

A better example might be examples/flexjs/MDLExample.  For Ant, it has a
src/main/config/compile-app-config.xml which specifies:

And for me, no SWF is produced.

HTH,
-Alex