Hi everyone,

I am not someone with an official vote, but I wanted to express my concern
about ditching the FlexJS name.

The largest possible market for adoption of a new "javascript" solution is
to go after those who have stuck with Flex.   There are FAR too many
javascript solutions on the market right now.

If the vote is to change the name, this will:

-- confuse the people who have been patiently waiting for FlexJS to get to
1.0 so they can dive in.

-- get lost in the noise of all of the other far more well popularized
javascript frameworks like Angular, React, etc.

-- lose the feeling, however small it may be, that those who came from the
Flex background can expect to have some of their knowledge recycled.

These are 3 critical aspects in terms of raising awareness and having a
potentially devoted following of one technology (Flex) star to transition
and champion to a new one (FlexJS).

If we lose that, then we effectively have to target against ALL javascript
frameworks, most notably ones that are heavily entrenched already and
supported by giant company resources like Google and Facebook.

I am strongly opposed to a name change.  I think this would be a huge
mistake.

On top of that, picking a new name and gaining awareness of it is HARD.

It should be reason enough for the Apache powers-that-be to approve a
project change to avoid being stuck with a huge legacy Flex bugbase that
Adobe donated, and instead start fresh with our 1.0 name.

If that cannot be achieved, then at a bare minimum we should seek to keep
the name FlexJS.

Regarding targeting something other than Javascript -- like SWF or AIR -- I
realize the debug aspect benefits are important, but all this is going to
do is confuse people.

I have read about HaXe a dozen times, and I never understand what it does
because apparently it does too much.   A swiss army knife is a lot more
confusing to use then a fixed head screwdriver.

Please, we have spent SO much time trying to get to 1.0 -- lets get FOCUSED
on delivering what everyone outside of the community of active participants
here has been waiting on, which is a future direction for their Flex
efforts.

Thank you,

Justin Hill
http://Prominic.NET | Skype: JustinProminic

My Apache Flex community contribution is working on the open
source Moonshine-IDE.com for FlexJS.