I'm against changing the indentation, for the same reasons as Stephan
listed.

In my opinion, the codebase has grown too large to "just" switch the
indentation or the entire code style (to the google style or whatever).
We have 235870 LOC of Java and 24173 LOC of Scala.

Therefore, I'm proposing to:
a) Decide on one validation framework (Guava seems to be our favorite
here), change & document it.
b) Decide on one parsing framework, change & document it.
c) Decide on a list of checkstyle rules.
d) Add pull requests for each rule, adding it to the checkstyle
configuration and making the code compliant.

Regarding the rules themselves: I have the impression that there is an
unwritten agreement on the code style by the core committers of Flink.
There might be some minor differences nobody cares about .. but all in all
the majority of the code is pretty uniform (at least how I perceive it)
The list of checkstyle rules should basically enforce this "core committers
code style" because it would minimize the number of required changes. Also,
the style has evolved over many years and seems to work well for our needs.