Hi!

Thanks for writing this up. I think it looks quite reasonable (I hope I
understood that design correctly)

There is one point of confusions left for me, though: The MetricDumper and
MetricSnapshot: I think it is just the names that confuse me here.
It looks like they define a way to query the metrics in the Metric Registry
in a standard schema (independent of the scope formats).
Should the "dumper" maybe be called "MetricsQueryService" or so (the query
service returns a MetricSnapshot, if I understand correctly).

It would be great if the "query service" would not need metrics to be
registered - saves us some effort during startup / teardown. It looks
as if the query service could just use the the root-most component metric
groups to walk the tree of whatever metric is currently there and put it
into the current snapshot.

One open questions that I have is: How do you know how to merge the metrics
from the subtasks, for example in case you want a metric across subtasks.

In general, not transferring objects (only strings / numbers) would be
preferable, because the WebMonitor may run in an environment where no
user-code classloader can be used.
It may run in the dispatcher (which must be trusted and cannot execute user
code).

Greetings,
Stephan