Flink 1.1.0 was released in August and I think it is time to kick off a
discussion about the schedule and scope of Flink 1.2.0.
We started to collect features for Flink 1.2.0 in the Flink Release wiki
I copy the feature list for convenience:
- Dynamic Scaling / Key Groups (FLINK-3755
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3755>) (Design Doc
- Rescalable Non-Partitioned State (FLIP-8
- Backwards compatible savepoints (FLINK-4797
Integrate Flink with Apache Mesos (FLINK-1984
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1984>) (Design Doc
- Secure Data Access (FLINK-3930
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3930>) (Design Doc
- Queryable State (FLINK-3779
- Metrics in Webinterface (FLIP-7
- Kafka 0.10 support (FLINK-4035
- Table API: Group Window Aggregates (FLINK-4691, FLIP-11)
- Table API: Scalar Functions (FLINK-3097)
Is a feature missing or something too ambitious?
In my opinion we should try to release 1.2.0 before Christmas. That means,
we should have a RC1 by end November / early December and a feature freeze
two weeks earlier in mid of November. Does that sound appropriate or should
we aim for an earlier or later release?
What do others think about the scope and schedule?