+1 to provide and enforcing a unified code style for both java and scala.
Unification should apply when it makes sense like comments though.

Eventually code base should be re-factored. I would vote for the one at a
time module fix apporoach.
Style guide should be part of any PR review.

We could also have a look at the spark style guide:
https://github.com/databricks/scala-style-guide

The style code and general guidelines help keep code more readable and keep
things simple
with many contributors and different styles of code writing + language
features.