How does the bot decide whether the PR is waiting for reviews or is being
abandoned by contributor ?

How about letting the bot count the number of times contributor pings
committer(s) for review ?
When unanswered ping count crosses some threshold, say 3, the bot publishes
the JIRA and PR somewhere.

Cheers