Hi

Re: Becket

> WRT the confusion between advance() / getCurrent(), do you think it would
> help if we combine them and have something like:
>
> CompletableFuture<T> getNext();
> long getWatermark();
> long getCurrentTimestamp();

I think that technically this would work the same as `CompletableFuture<?>
isBlocked()`, `CompletableFuture<?> advance()` or callbac/`notify()` options. I
see two differences:
1. in this case once connector unblocks itself and completes the future,
Flink’s engine would be responsible for holding the record somewhere, while
during this time Flink’s engine can be busy doing other things. Maybe that’s
not a big issue, but will slightly complicate the execution engine.
2. This might cause some performance overhead, since every record will have to
go through the future. As I wrote somewhere before, both `advance()` and
`isBlocked()` during full throughput could return static/const NOT_BLOCKED
instance, which should/could behave better.

Nevertheless maybe the choice between those options is secondary one and could
be done somewhere else/later or during comparison of some POCs?

Re: Aljoscha

>  I think it should be as easy as adding a
> minimumTimestamp()/maximumTimestamp() method pair to the split interface.

I think that `minimumTimestamp()/maximumTimestamp()` extension seems reasonable
if we want Flink to be aware of that. Since watermark handling/emitting would
be a custom logic anyway, maybe `minimum` and `maximum` timestamps of a split
could be handled as a private fields of the specific connector implementation?
I mean, the current proposal with `getCurrentTimestamp()` method indicates that
this logic will be hidden from the Flink’s engine anyway, so there might be no
need to expose them via API?

>  I see there has been some good discussion but I don't know if we have
> consensus.

I think we are converging to a point that having some kind of additional
notification that the connector is not blocked anymore would be more flexible
for us.

From the perspective of the execution engine, I would be in favour of testing
out our ideas and maybe benchmarking them to make sure that we are not omitting
something.

Piotrek